Sunday, June 7, 2009

MMRF 5k Race in New Canaan - June 7, 2009

I was not familiar with this race, but once John told me about it I decided that it would be a great race to run to support a great cause.



The day started out to be quiet warm and sunny - not exactly perfect weather for running. I met up with John and he introduced me to his friend, Meg, and her son Charlie. We chatted for a while and took some pictures. I looked about to see if I could see Kristine Lilly so I could get a picture with her, but I wasn't able to find her. She did speak briefly before the race started, but at the point I'd put my camera back in the car.


John warned me of the long run back along route 124 and the lack of shade later in the race, but I forgot to ask him about any hills on the course. John started out fast and I hung back a little knowing that he'd slow down soon enough. ;o) We saw Bob G on his bike at two points along the course. The first mile or so seemed to be mostly downhill so I was wondering if we were going to have to pay the price on some uphills later, but I'm somewhat familiar with the area and couldn't remember any hills. Luckily, there were no major uphills to speak of. I enjoyed running the last mile or so right behind a 14 year old and tried to encourage him. He ended up taking off at the end and finished very strong. He was also nice enough to acknowledge my support and shake my hand after the race.

This was a great race and would recommend it to others in the future.

Charlie B



Meg and Charlie B


John G, Meg B and Charlie



John G and Kate




John G and Meg B



Kate and John G with medals.


1 comment:

  1. I see you are wearing a medal so congrats on age group win. I did this one for the first time last year. Let just say you had better weather this year. Last way to hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete