Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Norwalk Summer Series 11 Miler

Saturday August 16th 2008. Lightfoot Runners Summer Series 11 miler.




The night before was the Maroon 5 concert (see prior post) which got me home and in bed by a little after 2am. This race is only about 10 minutes away from my house, but I always worry about parking so I wanted to get there about 45 minutes before start time. I also like a little time for my breakfast to settle before I start running. I was jolted awake when the alarm went off at 6:30am, which was good for me so that I didn't have a chance to think about being tired. I was a little apprehensive about the race since I have only done the distance once in training recently and that was in the cool climate of the Isle of Arran in Scotland. I also had the issue of the blistering on my feet to worry about. However, in the back of my mind I had the feeling that everything was going to work out just fine.




The weather was pretty good for a summer morning with it being a little cooler than usual and cloudy. I paced myself very well and felt strong throughout the entire race. My splits were as follows: 8:02, 9:17, 9:19, 8:42, 8:43, 8:52, 8:53, 9:35, 8:28, 9:17, 8:02 for an overall pace of 8:54. The course had some challenging hills in it, but also had a few nice downhill sections. I managed to pass about 6 people in the last half mile, which made me feel really good. When I turned into the lot at the school and headed for the finish line I had a huge smile on my face. I was thrilled to have run so well.









No comments:

Post a Comment