Monday, November 3, 2008

Saturday in the City before the big race

Tom, James and I had the good fortune of being able to get a room at Club Quarters Midtown located on 45th street between 5th and 6th Avenue before they all sold out. This was a great location and pretty central to all that we had to do for the two days. I had come into the City on Friday to pick up my ING bus ticket at the Hilton and gone to the Expo to pick up my shirt, bib and pasta dinner tickets. By doing this I was able to bring stuff home that I did not need for the race. On Saturday morning we jumped on the train and headed for Grand Central. Once we got there we proceeded to a burger place for lunch and then checked into the hotel. We then headed down to the Javits Center for the expo. When we got to the expo I was amazed by how much stuff was gone. Most of the things that I had bought the day before were now sold out. However, there were also great sales on some of the items that were left so we all bought a few things. James was also excited about getting free samples of Gatorade so we kept going back to that booth for more. This was very good for me too to keep me hydrated also. I ended up staying at the expo until almost 5pm when they were starting to shut everything down. We headed back to the hotel for a while and then made our way up to Central Park for the pasta dinner. There was a huge line to get in, but it moved very quickly and we got to watch the fireworks while we stood in line. I must say that the pasta was delicious and we got to take a few boxes of Barilla pasta home with us. We then made the walk back down to the hotel, watched the end of Independence Day, and then called it a night. I can't say that I slept well, but it could have been much worse.

Tom and James at the train station on Saturday morning.


Kate and James at the train station



Tom in front of "The Perfect Pint"




Tom and James in Times Square



Marathon Man at the Expo

Tom writing on the board at the expo




James writing on the board at the expo


The finish line on Saturday night





No comments:

Post a Comment