Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Snow Flakes

I went out for a run this morning and was happy to run amongst a few snow flakes. I'm not usually one for wanting the cold and the snow to come too early in the season, but a few flakes was actually quite nice. Generally in the cold weather I wear shorts or a running skirt and a short-sleeved shirt until it gets down to about the high 20s. However, with it being the first cold run of the season I was a feeling a little wimpy even with it only being about 35 degrees. I went out in a pair of light leggings and a very light long-sleeved tech shirt. Sure enough, within a few minutes I was wishing for short sleeves and my skirt. It was easy enough to pull up my sleeves and the leggings really didn't bother me too much so it wasn't a big inconvenience. I was happy to have my light gloves on for most of the run. My run was only 4.5 miles, but I ran it at a pretty fast pace and I felt really good. My sinus congestion is clearing too up so it was much easier to breath.

My mileage since the marathon:
The week after the New York marathon I went to spin class on Wednesday evening, ran 2.5 miles on Friday and 5 miles in a race on Sunday. My total mileage for the week was a whopping 7.5 miles. Last week I went to spin class on Wednesday and again waited until Friday to run. I ran 5 miles on Friday and 6 miles on Saturday for a total of 11 miles for the week! I also picked up another spin class on Sunday morning. I'm hoping to get in at least 3 runs this week so going for a run this morning was a great start. I also play volleyball on Monday nights in Westport and starting this evening I will be playing Tuesday evenings in Norwalk. I have been in both leagues for many years now. I felt good about being able to give my legs a little break from running and still keep active.

Friends running in Philly this weekend:
The Sunday spin instructor at my gym, Kate, will be running in her first marathon in Philly this weekend. She's in awesome shape so she should do well. I also have another friend, Jodi, who will be running the marathon. I met Jodi at her first marathon in Hartford a few years ago when I was running the relay. I came back to run her in the last few miles of that marathon and as chance would have it I ended up seeing her again when she ran her first ultra at Lake Waramaug this past April. I was volunteering at that ultra and recognized her as she ran by the first time. We chatted and caught up with each other the next few times she came around to our water station. We have since swapped e-mail addresses and keep in touch pretty regularly. I'm hoping that she also has a great time in Philly. Kate and Jodi will be in my thoughts on Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. snowflakes?? Yikes --it is too cold already:(
    But I agree -if you dress in layers, it's fine -getting out the door is the hardest. Sound like your recovery going well --Spin is perfect.
    Good luck to Kate in Philly!!!!!! Should be interesting to see how her biker legs hold up in the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it got pretty cold all of a sudden. I'll take the cold over the heat of the summer any day!

    Kate should do well since she teaches spin, kick boxing, flex and does weight-lifting. However, what I want most for her is to really enjoy the experience. I think that running a big city marathon is such a thrill.

    ReplyDelete